We are a local expediting company that offers a full range of permitting services for contractors, architects, engineers, and property owners within the five boroughs of New York City. We have 15+ of experience in obtaining NYC building permits in an efficient and cost-effective manner.

Our focus is on obtaining permits related to residential and commercial renovations. We also handle all types of DOT permits, including permits for major government contracts.




  • I spoke with Guy Cohen in regards to an issue I have with the DOB. After explaining to me that this is not a type of job his company takes on, Guy spent twenty minutes on the phone with me trying to educate me in the process of how to properly deal with my issue. I would highly recommend his company as if he takes that much care in someone he is not charging a fee too, I can only imagine what care he would take if he was to go to bat for me. A true gentleman in a field that probably has a lot of companies that are about the dollar first.
    Timothy Della Pace
  • I reached out to several expeditors to deal with an issue we had with a permit that was never closed. The ONLY company who responded immediately was GC Expediting. Guy Cohen answered all of my questions and helped me understand the situation. After we talked, I sent him an email with the open permit so he could review and he responded even though it was after work hours (I had called late in the day). We figured out that given the current situation, expediting services most likely are not what I need but he was SO helpful in continuing to answer my questions about what I should do.

    GC Expediting advertises that they offer great customer service. And they do. In addition, when I asked for a quote (when I thought I could use them), the quote was very reasonable. I had read that expeditors would run you at least $5K... in this case the quote was below $1000.

    Highly recommend GD Expediting!!
    Denise Posnak
  • I would recommend GC Expediting to anyone who is looking for a company who is sincere, patient, quick to respond and honest. When I needed to make changes, you never hesitated about the change, and I receive the information I need within the same day of my request. You guys are awesome. That’s all I can say. Awesome team!
    Theresa Falcone
    Falcone Landscaping and Construction
  • My only regret is that I don't have more people to recommend you guys to. Exceptional Service. No other way to say it.
    Charlie Vacca
    Vacca Brothers Contractors

Below is a brief breakdown of DOB licenses needed to do most construction projects.

What other licenses do you need?


DOT Permittee Number

If you are going to place a container on the sidewalk, store materials on the street, repair a sidewalk, or any other work involving the sidewalk or roadway, you'll need to be registered with the Department of Transportation (DOT). We can assist you with this registration process.

HIC and HIS licenses

If you are going to be working within a residential unit in NYC, you'll need a Home Improvement Contractor (HIC) license from the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA). An HIC license is a requirement when working in a residential unit. Like an HIC license, a Home Improvement Salesperson (HIS) license is required if you solicit, negotiate, or offer to negotiate a home improvement contract with a property owner.


1I'm a contractor looking to work in the five boroughs of NYC. What licenses do I need?
If you plan on taking on renovation jobs (residential or commercial), you'll want to start with getting a Tracking Number from the Department of Buildings (DOB). Obtaining a tracking number allows you to pull DOB permits for general construction, mechanical work, etc. To obtain a tracking number, you'll need to have the following insurance: 1) general liability, 2) workers' compensation, and 3) disability. If you are an independent contractor and don't have any employees, you can't get a tracking number. You have to think about it from the DOB's viewpoint: How can you do a job that requires a DOB permit (anything beyond cosmetic and ordinary repairs) by yourself? Most jobs involve multiple people to be done properly. We can assist you with getting a tracking number because the DOB requires these insurance certs to be formatted in a very specific way. We also take the certs to the Licensing Unit so you don't have to make a trip to the DOB. There are no DOB forms to fill out or city fees due to get a tracking number.

Besides a tracking number, if you plan on being hired by unit owners to work in their apartment (or homeowners), you'll need to obtain a Home Improvement Contractor (HIC) license from the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA). We cannot assist you with getting an HIC license because it requires you to take a test and get fingerprinted by the DCA. Note that you'll also need to have a Home Improvement Salesperson (HIS) license from the DCA if you are entering into a contract to do construction work in a residential unit and are hired by the unit owner. Exemptions to needing an HIC license are when you are hired by the management company of a building to renovate an apartment, or are doing commercial work.

In addition to a tracking number and an HIC license, if you plan on repairing sidewalks and/or placing equipment in the street (e.g. containers), you'll need to be registered with the Department of Transportation (DOT) . The DOT issues contractors a Permittee Number. Getting a permittee number is a bit complicated but we can assist you with this registration process.
2I want to renovate my condo/co-op unit. Where do I start?
The first step is to hire an architect and have him/her come to your place and discuss what is possible as per building code/experience in dealing with buildings like yours. For example, most condo/co-op buildings don't allow you to install "wet over dry" - meaning, a washing machine in a existing closet probably isn't going to happen. (We can recommend an architect if you don't already have one in mind.)

Once a design has been agreed upon with an architect, the next step is to review your building's Alteration Agreement. This agreement will contain details about the steps involved with getting your project approved INTERNALLY by the building. Usually this includes sending a set of plans and a letter of intent to the management company. They'll also request a a deposit from you and then send out your plans to an architect hired by the management company to review plans. It almost always takes a few weeks for that architect to review these plans, and the architect usually has a few pages of notes that require revisions be made to the drawings and another review done. As you can see, it can take some time to get a job approved by your management company. The reason why you need to have this internal approval done is that most of the DOB forms are signed by officers of the board. Usually the unit owner only signs one form (the cost affidavit).

Once the plans have been approved internally, an expediter can be hired. An expediter will advise you as to any other vendors you need to hire (e.g. asbestos inspector if your building was built before April 1, 1987) and will set up the Department of Buildings (DOB) forms to complement the architect's drawings. The expediter is also the person who actually goes to the DOB and deals with the plan examiners and staff there. Most architects won't step foot into the DOB.

After the job has been approved by the DOB, an expediter will work with your contractor to pull the required work permits.

Finally, when construction is complete, an expediter will set up and submit the DOB forms required to sign off your job at the DOB. Signing off the job is important because this is how you get your deposit back from the management company. Signing off the job is also a priority because it shows that the work was not only approved and permitted, but also completed. If the job isn't signed off, a future buyer of the unit could say that the work was not done legally. Just because someone pulls a permit doesn't mean they actually did any work - at least that's how the DOB sees it.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about this filing process.
3I just received a violation for working without a permit. What do I do now?
Yikes! Working without a permit is a serious violation. You'll need to stop work immediately and file a job with the DOB right away. Once a permit has been issued, you may have to schedule an appointment with the DOB's Construction Division to remove a stop work order. If no stop work order was issued, and you have a permit, you can continue with construction. Keep in mind your ECB court date and make sure you attend the hearing with supporting documentation proving that the violating conditions were corrected. Some additional paperwork will be required to resolve the violation in the DOB's system once your ECB hearing has occurred and you've paid any fines due.
4How do I get a permit to repair/replace the sidewalk in front of my property?
You'll need to hire a contractor registered with the Department of Transportation (DOT). The DOT issues all permits related to the sidewalk and roadway. Contact us for recommendations if you don't have a contractor already selected.
5How do I get permission to work in a building deemed a landmark?
Before the DOB will give you permission to work in a building with landmark status, you've got to get permission from the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC). The LPC will want to see signed/sealed drawings and the proper form(s). They may have objections which will be given after an initial review which can take ~4 weeks for exterior work and work below the third floor. Interior work above the second floor can request an expedited review which takes about a week to get reviewed.
6What is a Letter of No Objection and how do I get one?
A Letter of No Objection (LNO) is issued by the Department of Buildings as a substitute for a Certificate of Occupancy. You must apply for an LNO at the appropriate borough office and there is no guarantee that you will be issued an LNO for what you are requesting. The application procedure is different in each borough so please contact us regarding this process.
7Do I need a permit to do simple plumbing work like replacing fixtures in a bathroom?
Yes. If the amount of work is small enough, your plumber may be able to pull a Limited Alteration Application (LAA). LAAs are nice because they can be obtained online in a few minutes and most LAAs don't require plans to be submitted. No plans = a lot of money saved.
8How do I alter the Certificate of Occupancy for my property?
You must file an Alteration Type-1 job filing with the Department of Buildings (DOB). Keep in mind that you can obtain a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (TCO) from the DOB, but a final CO can't be obtained until all open violations are resolved and any open jobs closed out.
9What permits do I need to combine two apartments?
You'll need to file an Alteration Type-2 job with the Department of Buildings (DOB). Keep in mind that the Certificate of Occupancy for the building won't change. But once you sign off the job with the DOB and obtain a Letter of Completion, this should be all the documentation you need to transfer ownership of the two combined units as a single unit.
10I’m looking to renovate my property. What’s the process to get the proper permits? Where do I start?
The first step is for us to connect you with one of the architects/engineers that we will hire for you. Plans will have to be drawn up for any interior/exterior renovation that disturbs the existing building material or involves installing something like a new partition. The architect will have to visit your property to take measurements and assess the areas being worked on.

Next, you'll want to discuss with us arranging an asbestos inspection for your property. Any property built after April 1, 1987 requires an asbestos inspection before the work permits can be issued. We've got volume deals worked out with inspectors so it is best to contact us about this required inspection.

While this is all going on you'll want to get some bids from contractors. We'll need the estimated job costs for your project to complete the paperwork required for a job filing with the Department of Buildings (DOB).

Finally, an expediter (preferably GC Expediting!) will complete all the required forms based on the architect's drawings. We'll send out the forms to be signed by all relevant shareholders. If you live in a co-op/condo board-run building, an officer of the board will have to sign at least one of the forms so keep that in mind. The completed forms, signed/sealed drawings, and the asbestos report are all filed at the same time with the DOB and then you have to wait for a plan examiner to review your project.
11How do I resolve old violations on my property? Even ones from before I owned the property?
Old violations can be a pain in the you know what. We've seen violations dating back to a time when horses and buggies were on the streets. The old violations can usually be dismissed by hiring an expediter to submit the proper paperwork to the DOB. Sometimes a new job will have to be filed to correct an old violation. Once in awhile there will be old fines that must be paid before the violations can be dismissed.

Unfortunately there is no way to dismiss a violation just because you weren't the owner of the property at the time of issuance. When you purchase a property, the DOB assumes you purchased the property "as is." Therefore the current owner is responsible for any outstanding violations.


Or you can fill out the contact form below and we'll be in touch!